Join in the celebrations for National Library Day
Date Added: 26/01/2016
Winnie the Pooh’s 90th birthday, a worldwide Harry Potter party and an exclusive author event will feature in a three-day Central Bedfordshire celebration that culminates on National Libraries Day on Saturday, 6 February.
Libraries are a vitally important public service and they were visited an astonishing 265 million times across the UK last year – that’s more than went to Premier League football matches (13.9 million), the theatre (22 million) and cinema (165.5 million) combined.
Central Bedfordshire Libraries will be extending the celebrations across and at:
• Toddington Library you could be in with the chance of a prize if you take part in their special library hunt quiz.
• Sandy Library will be welcoming customers with a chocolate themed morning.
• Flitwick Library will have some Mad Hatter Fun including the Mad Hatter’s Treasure Trail and a chance to make your own hat.
• Dunstable Library will be celebrating Winnie the Pooh’s 90th birthday with a special tea party and an exclusive game of pin the tale on Eeyore with a prize for the closest
Cllr Brian Spurr, Executive Member for Community Services, said: “National Libraries Day is a celebration of the service, the staff and the communities that use libraries and we have a packed week of events and activities planned to showcase just how much we value them across Central Bedfordshire. People come to use to borrow books, of course, but there is so much more we do that lots of people don’t know about, and National Libraries Day gives us a chance to shout about those other services too.”
Thursday, February 4, also sees the second annual Harry Potter Book Night celebrated throughout the world and Central Bedfordshire Libraries will be sharing the wonder of author J.K. Rowling’s unforgettable stories and, most excitingly, introducing the next generation of readers to the unparalleled magic of Harry Potter.
• At Leighton Buzzard Library (4-6pm) young wizards, witches and Muggles will be treated to an evening of games, activities and quizzes. It all begins when the Sorting Hat decides who will be in which House, there will also be the chance to make your own wizarding wand and the ultimate trivia challenge. Free tickets are available from the library or by calling 0300 300 8059.
• Fans of all things Hogwarts will also have the chance to create a spell and invent a potion at Potton Library (3-5pm)
• There will be a night of wizarding fun at Flitwick Library (4.30-5.30pm). Tickets are for ages 7+ and available free from the library or by calling 0300 300 8057.
Central Bedfordshire Libraries are also delighted to be hosting the ‘Mega Read’ in partnership with Headline Publishers and the Reading Agency. Already, 250 free copies of award-winning Sarah Winman’s newest and long-awaited novel, A Year of Marvellous Ways, has been handed out to members of the community ahead of her visit to Flitwick Library on Thursday, 4 February (7.30pm). Tickets for this event are £3 and come with a complimentary glass of wine or soft drink. There will also be a chance to win a Cornish hamper. Tickets are available from the library or by calling 0300 300 8057.
Date/Time Library Event
Thursday 4 February 3-5pm Potton Library Harry Potter Night
Thursday 4 February 4-6pm Leighton Buzzard Library Harry Potter Night
Thursday 4 February4.30-5.30pm Flitwick Library Harry Potter Night
Thursday 4 February 3-5pm Sandy Library Harry Potter event
Thursday 4 February7.30-9pm Flitwick Library Sarah Winman
Friday 5 February all day Biggleswade Library Harry Potter treasure hunt (all correct answers win a prize)
Saturday 6 February morning Biggleswade Library Pop in for tea, cake and a quiz
Saturday 6 February 11-3pm Biggleswade Library Harry Potter craft event
Saturday 6 February 10-12.30pm Barton Library Lego Club & Bake Sale
Saturday 6 February 10-12.30pm Potton Library Chinese New Year craft event
Saturday 6 February 9.30-1pm Toddington Library Library Hunt Quiz
Saturday 6 February 9.30-1pm Sandy Library Chocolate Themed Morning
Saturday 6 February 9.30-4pm Flitwick Library Mad Hatter Fun
Saturday 6 February2-3pm Leighton Buzzard Library National Libraries Day storytime and craft session
Saturday 6 February Dunstable Library Winnie The Pooh event
For more information about all events taking place at Central Bedfordshire’s libraries, visit www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/libraries